Friday, October 5, 2007

My Ekphrastic poem

It's amazing how recognition from people can really brighten up your whole day...

Poetry was never my field of expertise. It really scared me to write something for the class...
and then undergo the evaluation by each of the other students and the professor.

This is my first attempt in writing an "Ekphrastic poem" - vivid description of art using poetry.

I thought that it was crap when I handed it in since this was my very first time, and the words that I used were all really simple and easy. I didn't even rhyme that much. However, the evaluation for my poem today really caught me off-guard. My classmates liked my poem!!
I was shocked AND suprised AND pleased... It really feels good to be recognized...

So for those of you who are interested in what I wrote...Here's my poem...

***


The Evaluation






Things seemed different with a man in the room,
But things still seemed the same.
The wash of greeen and the smell of wood,
the music and twirls were familiar.

Around the walls of green they stood,
waiting patiently for their turn.
Their girl had to be in spotlight, to stand out in the crowd.
At least leave an impression they said,
"You are next in line...ready, go!"

In the heart of the little ones,
they would never think it was their only chance.
On the beat their feet will prance,
to the music their heart will dance.

For leisure, for fun but not for fame,
That man in the room, they forgot his name.


Thus was Degas' Dancing Class,
waiting in line for the Evaluation.

2 comments:

byron said...

Dear Ling,

Good to be recognized.
Every tower is built up by each tiny sand.
Hero that can move the mountain is not by their force, but will.
Strong will is not in-born, but grow with self confident.
Self confident is built up by recognition, and achievement,
Remember this tiny feeling, this is the fire in your heart and pursuance of success.

Dad

Uma Anandane said...

well,this was really nice.I could feel the connections bet. your poem and the picture.Nice try!

And the above comment ,sweet!!! a recognition from a dad to daughter..what do you need more ?

Keep writing! :)